The Cuesta College Book of the Year Program is back for its 12th year. The program was canceled last year due to the pandemic and returns this April with free, virtual access to all events.
The Program brings back “The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage, and a Girl Saved by Bees” by Meredith May. The memoir depicts May’s struggles with growing up in a dysfunctional, divorced family and finding inspiration and renewal working with her beekeeper grandfather as she adjusts to life in rural Carmel Valley, California. Copies of the book are available for checkout from the Cuesta College libraries and local public libraries.
“We are excited to welcome Meredith virtually and to celebrate another fantastic Cuesta College Book of the Year,” said Carina Love, chair of the Book of the Year Committee.
Cuesta College hosts award-winning journalist and author May for a live, virtual presentation about her book on Friday, April 23, from 5 – 7 p.m. Tickets are free, though registration is required. Prior to the event, participants entering the Zoom room are invited to listen to specially recorded honey-themed songs performed by Cuesta College music faculty Inga Swearingen, John Knutson, and Marshall Otwell. Swag bags and signed bookplates are also available with donations.
Other Book of the Year events throughout
• Gardening for Pollinators
• U.C. Master Gardeners, SLO County presents a colorful, illustrated lecture on making your garden attractive to bees, pollinators with Q&A.
- Wednesday, April 14, 1– 2 p.m.
- Register for required advance ticket: https://bit.ly/37Bbd3S
• Cuesta Library Virtual Book Club Discussion of The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees, by Meredith May
- Thursday, April 15, 1 – 2:30 p.m.
- Zoom: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/3619380274
• Film Screening of Biggest Little Farm
- Free streaming access for 24 hours via Vimeo starting Friday, Apr. 16 at midnight
- Register for required advance ticket: https://bit.ly/37BilwQ
• Biggest Little Farm Film Intro and Q&A with Cuesta Science Faculty Greg Baxley
- Friday, April 16, 4 – 5 p.m.
- Register for required advance ticket: https://bit.ly/2NTW4Dq
See the Cuesta College Library’s webpage for more details and to check out additional 2021 Book of the Year events in SLO County.
The Academic Senate of Cuesta College’s Book of the Year program is sponsored by the Cuesta College Friends of the Library and County of San Luis Obispo Public Libraries SLO Reads Program and made possible through donor support.