California is stepping back on opening plans after a surge of COVID-19 cases.
“We are moving back into a modification mode of our stay at home order,” Newsom said during a press conference on July 13.
Restaurants, wineries, movie theaters, family entertainment, zoos, museums and card rooms state wide were told to shut down all indoor operations and bars were ordered to close completely.
Newsom had previously named 19 counties on placed on the state’s pandemic monitoring list that were to shutdown indoor operations for three weeks, but now it is a statewide order.
Newsom also named 30 counties where fitness centers, places of worship, offices for “Non-Critical Sectors,” personal care services, hair salons, barbershops and malls will have to close down. San Luis Obispo made the list and is expected to further shutdown by Thursday morning. Comparing the situation to that of a dimmer switch, Newsom said restrictions would be adjusted up and down as conditions dictate.
“People come on that monitoring list and they come off the monitoring list because of the dynamic nature of this virus,” Newsom said. “Nothing is constant. Nothing is linear as it relates to infectious disease.”
As of July 12, the state has recorded 320,804 cases during the pandemic, leading to 7,017 deaths, according to data from the California Department of Public Health.
“This virus is not going away anytime soon,’’ Newsom said. “I hope all of us recognize that if we were still connected to some notion that somehow when it gets warm it’s going to go away or somehow it’s going to take summer months or weekends off, this virus has done neither. It’s incumbent on all of us to recognize, soberly, that COVID-19 is not going away anytime soon until there is a vaccine and/or an effective therapy.”