Cambria Holds Grand Opening and Dedication for Old School House

Written by Estero Bay News

August 1, 2026

The schoolhouse as it sat along Santa Rosa Creek from 1881 until closing in 1954. Property owner Delfin Molinari donated

 it to be moved to town in 1964.

Story and Photos by Consuelo Macedo

Congressman Jimmy Panetta paid a surprise visit to the board of the Cambria Historical Society and their guests at the Grand Opening and Dedication of their refurbished 1881 Schoolhouse “in recognition of outstanding and invaluable service to the community.” 

The periparetic structure had been dismantled and moved in two pieces from its original site in a meadow on the banks of Santa Rosa Creek two miles east of Coast Union High School in 1964. It resided in Cambria’s west village on property owned and maintained by the Cambria Lions Club where it was utilized as the United Artists Playhouse and then various businesses. When the Lions were to sell the property they offered it to the Historical Society for a nominal fee,  contingent on their moving it soon.

At left is Congressman Jimmy Panetta, who presented the Certificate of Appreciation to CHS President Melody Coe in recognition of the volunteers and construction crews for the seven years of service. Coe indicated that there is work yet to be done.

The Society was already engaged in supporting their museum, which opened in 2008 after seven years of reconstruction of the 1870 Guthrie Bianchini House on Center Street at Burton Drive, as well as the adjacent Resource Center in the 1875 Magetti House. 

The group, which is characterized as “small but mighty,” accepted the challenge,  and found property to lease and accommodate its size in the middle of a six acre meadow on the town’s first homesite. It was moved late at night (to avoid traffic) in three pieces and set on a new concrete foundation at the intersection of Santa Rosa Creek Road and Main Street, where it welcomes visitors to town. 

The schoolhouse completed with its brand new (redwood) bell tower

The move was ensured by the generosity of a major but anonymous donor,  contingent on dedicating it in honor of Phoebe Apperson Hearst, co-founder of the national PTA.  An additional benefactor  was honored by the dedication of the reconstructed bell tower complete with the original bell. Many grantors and donors continue to make this dream a reality – one of only a few remaining one room schoolhouses nationwide. 

After seven years of construction with typical delays during Covid and abiding by mandates, CHS  filled the edifice with antique student desks,  an original teacher’s desk, the original flagpole (also peripatetic), and the original iron stove which had been lovingly restored, and other artifacts. They invited benefactors and members of early Cambria families, some of whom attended and then graduated in 1954, for an evening reception, followed by the Grand Opening and picnic for the public.

The community has been supportive of the Cambria Historical Society’s  commitment to preserve and present the village ‘s unique legacy. The Board appreciates the dedication and hard work of its volunteers, architect, and construction crews who have made this possible, the Board said. 

The Santa Rosa Schoolhouse will serve as the destination for school field trips for students of all grade levels for authentic early day experiences. While not a regular Museum, it will be open for four daytime public events, such as the CHS Speaker Series, as per agreement with the landowner who holds the lease on the property. Meanwhile, everyone is welcome to stop by for a photo op, and stay tuned for future plans for native plant landscaping and additional features. 

You May Also Like…

New Store Caters to Gamers

New Store Caters to Gamers

Paul Perez, owner of Big Rock Tabletop, a new gamers store in Morro Bay, holds a couple of the props used in role...

Happy 100th Jerry

Happy 100th Jerry

Los Osos resident Jerry Lundstrom turned 100-years-old on July 18. Photo by Karin Gray Jerry Lundstrom celebrated a...