These charming, locally made dolls, above, are available at Cambria Inspirations in the West Village.
Buying from artisans and other creatives and supporting local small businesses just feels good. Big box stores have their place, sure, but walk into a studio or a lovingly curated small store and it just feels different, in the best way.
However, these days many artisans and even small businesses have migrated online, making it a bit harder to find and support these folks.
The Estero Bay News has searched down a few places for you to start.
- The town of Harmony is infamous for its lack of population (18 residents at the time of writing) but you’ll want to visit for its wealth of unique items. Find a pottery collective, glassblowing shop (ask about lessons) and an ice cream truck. Up the road a bit you’ll also find Harmony Cellars tasting room.
- Left Coast Art Studio in Los Osos offers a variety of workshops from local makers and carries work from several local artists. Visit by appointment, or attend their Holiday Craft Market on Sunday, Dec 5 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Winter Faire & Juried Craft Show brings together artists and craftspeople to offer exceptional paintings, photography and fine crafts, spanning a variety of artistic mediums from traditional to contemporary. Through January 3 at Art Center Morro Bay, 835 Main Street.
- Back Bay Pottery is the creative home of Christine Silbaugh, a potter with a charming textural style for her functional pieces. In Los Osos, by appointment or online.
- Check out Los Osos artist Larry Le Brane’s unique visions in fused glass, mixed media and traditional art forms as well as sign up for classes.
- Morro Bay Beautiful organized the creation of the Morro Bay Puzzle. It is being sold on their website and in Morro Bay at Dorn’s Breaker Cafe, Giovanni’s Fish Market, Dutchman’s Seafood House, The Shell Shop, Morro Bay Oyster Co., Hungry Fisherman Restaurant, The Inn at Rose’s Landing, and Marina Square.
- Jeffrey + Jean Stone & Wax Co. has been makesnatural soy jar candles from mindfully sourced ingredients in Los Osos.
Looking for books by local authors to give the readers in your life, checkout Volumes of Pleasure Book Shoppe, 1016 Los Osos Valley Rd, or Coalesce Bookstore, 845 Main St, Morro Bay, for a collection of new reading material.
More Resources for Local Creations
David J Rogers Fine Art Gallery
Watercolor paintings by David J. Rogers
407 Morro Bay Blvd., Morro Bay, CA
Seven Sisters Gallery
Jewelry, art and gifts
601 Embarcadero, Morro Bay
Fiona Bleu Gallery
900 Embarcadero, Morro Bay
Stickers and t-shirts to museum quality limited edition prints and original paintings
1164 Quintana Road, Morro Bay
Gallery at Marina Square
Features the work of more than 60 award-winning professional artists
601 Embarcadero, Morro Bay