This time of year, go-go-go is the speed everyone is operating at. Take some time to slow down with family and friends and enjoy activities that celebrate the magic of the season and bring out the kid in everyone.
- The Morro Bay Police Department continues the popular Caroling Cops on Dec. 6, in North Morro Bay, Dec. 7, Central Morro Bay, and Dec. 8, South Morro Bay. Caroling begins at 5:30 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m. each night. Santa will give away gifts from the back of his altered sleigh. Due to COVID-19, only MBPD and Santa will be allowed on board. The department will also decorate the front of the station, and there is a Coffee with a Cop event on Dec. 11, place to be determined.
- Hospitality Day 2021 takes place on Monday, December 6, all day in Cambria. Shops, restaurants and other businesses will host special events and other promotions. There will be BBQ and hotdogs provided by the American Legion in front of the Chamber starting at 3:30 pm. For more information, go to cambriachamber.org/event/hospitality-night.
- The Morro Bay Lighted Boat Parade is Dec. 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. on the Embarcadero in Morro Bay. Join the Rotary Club, the Morro Bay Harbor Department and the City of Morro Bay for this community favorite event. Be dazzled as the fishing, leisure and yachting community take to the water with decorated boats full of lights and holiday cheer. Parade will go on rain or shine. Get there early to buy some snacks and find a perfect place to view the fun.
- The 45th Annual Downtown SLO Holiday Parade is back. “California Dreamin’: celebrate the sun, the wine, the beach, and the sights” is the theme this year. It all takes place on Dec 3 from 7 p.m.- 9 p.m. The parade route begins at Chorro and Palm and ends on Nipomo and Monterey. For a parade program and lineup, go to downtownslo.com/events/holidays/holidayparade.
- The Annual Light up the Downtown Holiday Celebration is on Dec. 3 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. in the Sunken Gardens, in Downtown Atascadero. At 5:30 p.m. sip and shop with the Atascadero Chamber of Commerce’s Art, Wine & Brew Tour. At 6 p.m., gather in the Sunken Gardens area in front of Historic City Hall and count down to the lighting of the beautiful building. Soon after the lights come on, Santa and Mrs. Claus will be arriving via an antique Model-A fire truck to the tune of “Here Comes Santa Claus” performed by the Atascadero Fine Arts Academy. Everyone is then be invited to visit Santa and Mrs. Claus at the North Pole entrance located at the back of City Hall that faces Atascadero Middle School. Art & Wine Tour tickets are available for purchase in front of Historic City Hall and at Colony Market & Deli. Tickets include a commemorative wine glass and wristband that entitles you to enjoy a variety of merchants serving wine throughout the downtown. For ticket information, go to www.atascaderochamber.org OR Call (805) 466-2044. For information on this and other holiday events, visit www.VisitAtascadero.com/events.
- Don’t miss the Winter Faire & Juried Craft Show at Art Center Morro Bay, 835 Main Street, Morro Bay runs through through January 3, 2022 featuring paintings, photography and fine craft For more information, go to www.artcentermorrobay.org or 805-772-2504.
- PHOTO cayucos christmas A beloved annual Cayucos tradition is back! Christmas in Cayucos combines holiday festivities with a special open house evening to connect with community and support Cayucos businesses.
Business began decorating Dec. 1 and will continue to add flair to their décor throughout the month with the chamber judging on Dec. 7 to award prizes. The tree lighting is on Dec. 5 at 5 p.m. at the corner of Ocean Ave/D Street. Santa and Mrs. Claus will be there to chat with children. Dec. 11, is the business open house in Downtown Cayucos from 5 to 8 p.m. The event also features free horse-drawn carriage rides.
Because of COVID-19 restrictions events may have some modifications around food service and activities. Indoor face coverings may still be required at the time of the events. For a list of activities, go to cayucoschamber.com/christmas-in-cayucos.
- Santa’s Coming to the Embarcadero thanks to the Rotary Club of Morro Bay, who have an in with the big guy. Visit Jolly ol’ Saint Nick and get a picture at the Chessboard on the Embarcadero on Dec. 3-5 and 10-12 from 5 to 8 p.m. Santa will be in his house to pose for photos and share presents and treats with the children. Pictures are free, but frames do have a small cost.
- Winter Wonderland in Atascadero returns on Friday, December 10 from 5 to 9 p.m. Atascadero’s Sunken Gardens and the entire downtown will be transformed into a magical snowy paradise with 65 tons of snow creating play areas and a massive snow slide built by Kiwanis Club of Atascadero. The event is free but don’t forget to bring along your wallet for holiday shopping, great food and all of the extra fun. For more information, call (805) 470-3360.
- The SLO County Friday Night Live Reindeer Run takes place Dec. 11 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. starting at Mitchell Park. It is a 5k run that follows the Railroad Trail to Orcutt Road, returning to Mitchell Park via Broad and Santa Barbara Streets. The majority of the course is on the trail or sidewalks, and will have volunteers cheering participants on along the way. Participants, volunteers, and spectators are encouraged to dress in their favorite holiday attire and kick off the winter season! Participation is $25 to $30. For more information, go to eventbrite.com/e/reindeer-run-tickets-167092902369.
- Holiday Magic at the Charles Paddock Zoo on Dec. 18 from 10 a.m. – 1p.m. Zookeepers have stepped in as Santa’s elves to prepare gifts for the animals. Santa will be at the Zoo to help welcome visitors and deliver gifts to the animals. Gifts will be delivered to the animals throughout the three hours along with activities for the entire family to enjoy throughout the day. New this year is a strolling magician to engage all ages. For more information about the Zoo, go to charlespaddockzoo.org.
- The Cal Poly Choirs will be back live and in person with the fifth annual “Holiday Kaleidoscope” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 4, in Miossi Hall of the Performing Arts Center. Continuing the tradition of community collaboration, the choirs will be joined by the Cabrillo High School Madrigal Singers, directed by Cal Poly alumna Jennifer Peterson and the San Luis Obispo High School Chamber Choir directed by Rick Robbins.
Tickets are $15 and $20 for the public, and $10 for students. Event parking is sponsored by the PAC. Tickets are available at the Cal Poly Ticket Office between noon and 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. To order by phone, call 805-SLO-4TIX (805-756-4849).
- Costa Gallery, 2087 10th St. Los Osos, co-hosts ARTS Obispo’s art walk, with more than 200 Holiday gifts $50 and under by more than 20 local artists. Browse fiber art, glass, jewelry, paintings, photography, prints, and sculpture. Give them a call at 559-799-9632.